Chrome Reading List
How to Locate and Download
The Chrome browser has a convenient feature called the reading list that can be used to store links to artcles that you'd like to keep and/or read later. The list is only accessible via the browser plugin. A search for the content of the list on your local machine will be fruitless. There is however, a way to download it. The following provides a step by step guide.
How to export and download the reading list
- Go to myaccount.google.com.
Select "Data & Privacy" from the left side menu
Select "Data from apps and services you use" located under the "Your data and privacy options" section.
- Alternatively, if you are already on a google page such as gmail or a google search result page, click on your profile icon at the top right of the page and select "Manage Your Google Account"
Select "Download your data" located under a subsection called "Download or delete your data"
- The above step is a shortcut that scrolls the page to a larger section called "Data from apps and services you use", which can also be reached by manually scrolling down the page.
Click on "Deselect all" under "Products in the "Create a new export" section
Scroll to the "Chrome" section and check the box to right. This will activate links called: "Multiple formats" and "All Chrome data included"
Select "All Chrome data included" (a list of chrome data files will pop up)
Select "Deselect all"
then select "Reading List"
then click "ok"
Scroll to bottom of page and click "Next step"
The next section called "Choose file type, frequency & destination" will be presented
Select the delivery method you would like from the drop down menu of options. The default is be "Send download link via email"
- The above step takes you to a page called "Google Takeout", where all the available files for download will be pre-selected by default
Select the frequency of delivery. The default is "Export once"
- (the alternatives are "Add to Drive, Add to Drop box, Add to OneDrive, Add to Box")
Select the file type you would like from the drop down menu of options. The default is ".zip"
- (the alternative is to "export every 2 months for 1 year")
Select the maximum file size you would like from the drop down menu of options. The deault is "2GB".
- (the alternative is ".tgz")
Select "Create Export"
The export will begin and you will eventually be taken to a page called Manage your exports where there is the option to download the reading list file.
- Other options are "1GB, 4GB, 10GB, 50GB. Exports larger than this size will be split into multiple files up to the size limit selected.
A copy of the file (or a link to it) will also be sent the delivery method you chose in addition to being able to download it from the Manage your exports page.